Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Education in Zambia

Family Legacy is expanding its services in Zambia to include the creation of new schools for the children there. Lifeway Christian Academies will provide an unmatched learning experience for students in Zambia.  The link below (all the way at the bottom) will give you much more information on the current state of education in Zambia and the plans for starting at least 12 new schools during 2011.

I want to share a story with you about Daniel - one of the boys I have worked with for the last 2 years. In 2008, a friend attended Camp LIFE and asked me to support the trip by purchasing fleeces to give to the children. As a “thank you” I received a picture of a little boy excitedly showing off his fleece during camp. This picture was a special reminder to me of how grateful these children are for what little they have – often just enough to survive on. It made it to my office where I hung it just behind my computer.

When I got to camp last year, this little boy’s face showed up in my group! He wasn’t smiling when he got there, but once he heard the familiar songs of camp, you could see the sorrow in his eyes melt away and a smile came to his face. At that very moment, tears filled my eyes and I knew – this was the child whose picture I had looked at for the last 365 days. I was astounded and overwhelmed. God had these details planned out long before I ever knew I was going. He wrote this child’s face on my heart – to love him – before I would even get to meet him. I was profoundly changed by God’s display of love for both Daniel and me.

What I have learned about Daniel over the last 2 years is that he is extremely bright! The other kids call him "abusa" which means pastor. He can beautifully and articulately present the gospel like I have never heard. This year, he was extremely sad. I learned throughout the week that he was so disappointed that he was unable to attend school. Daniel lives with his aunt and uncle - his parents are too poor to support him and they thought he would be better off living somewhere else. 

Unfortunately, his aunt and uncle are out of work and cannot afford to send Daniel to school. In order to make money, Daniel sells vegetables on the streets for literally pennies. He still does not have enough money to pay for school.

These children WANT to go to school. They understand how important it is. They will truly do anything to receive a good education. Family Legacy is committed to make a long-term difference in their lives through the power of the gospel and through the provision of basic needs - like education.

Learn more about Lifeway Christian Schools at www.familylegacy.com/education.

No comments:

Post a Comment